Pavement Parking

It’s been a little while since I’ve posted on here but I was really keen to blog about pavement parking as it can be a big issue for many people and it’s a subject which we get lots of enquiries and complaints about. Pavement parking can cause real issues for a number of people, particularly pedestrians, pushchairs and wheelchair users as it often affects their ability to use and keep to the safety of the pavement.

If a vehicle is parked on a pavement and there are parking restrictions on the adjacent highway, then it is something which Civil Enforcement Officers like me can enforce and we can issue Penalty Charge Notices but this would be because the motorist is contravening the restrictions on the highway rather than because of the pavement parking itself. For example, in the photograph below, a vehicle is parked on a pavement adjacent to double yellow lines and as there isn’t any activity taking place which would permit stopping on double yellow lines (e.g. unloading/loading of goods, passengers getting in or out of the vehicle etc.) a Penalty Charge Notice can be issued.

PavementParking 2

If a vehicle is parked on a pavement and there aren’t any parking restrictions on the adjacent highway or if there is a significant obstruction being caused, then this would fall under the responsibilities of the Police who would consider whether this was ‘wilful obstruction of the public highway’, which is an offence. In such instances you can dial the non-emergency Police line 101 who will deal with such matters at their own discretion.

Whilst this post is about pavement parking, you may also find these other posts which I’ve done about parking on dropped kerbs and blocked access of interest too:

Dropped Kerbs and Blocked Access
Who would you report this to?
Access Restricted

I hope the above is helpful and as always, if you’re a motorist, please park safely, legally and considerately.

Dropped Kerbs and Blocked Access

Thank you to everyone who took part in last week’s poll about who you’d report a car parked on a dropped kerb blocking access to. It was one of my most popular blog posts so far and the results were really interesting with a real mix of answers:

NEPP Poll results

There are actually two organisations which this type of incident could be reported to: the North Essex Parking Partnership and the Police.

If someone contacts the North Essex Parking Partnership (NEPP) to say a vehicle is stopping them from accessing their driveway or property then we can issue a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) to the vehicle (but only if more than 50% of the vehicle is parked across the driveway) however we can’t remove the vehicle itself. If, when a CEO like myself attends, they find that the vehicle is parked appropriately and a resident can still access their property then no action will be taken.

This type of incident can also be reported to the Police (on their non-emergency number 101) as this is considered as obstruction and they can issue a Fixed Penalty Notice to the vehicle.

I hope you found this post useful and if you’re interested in finding out more or what to know about the difference between parking on a dropped kerb as opposed to a pavement, please read my post ‘Access Restricted’.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

Who would you report this to?

When my colleagues and I are out and about patrolling the subject of cars parked on dropped kerbs and blocking access often comes up.

Dropped kerbs are put in place for two reasons: to allow access and/or to indicate to the visually impaired where to cross the road (tactile paving is used to indicate to the visually impaired where a kerb has been dropped).

Image of car parked on a dropped kerb.

In the photograph above the dropped kerb has been put in place to allow the resident(s) to access their driveway. This week I’d like to find out who you think you should report an issue like this to, so have come up with the poll below for you all to take part in.

The correct answer will be posted here next week.



Abandoned Vehicles

At the weekend I met up with a friend who I hadn’t seen in a while and we got talking about work, as you do, and my friend mentioned that for weeks they have been driving past a van on their way to work which they think has probably been abandoned. My friend asked me who they needed to report this to and it got me thinking that this would be a good topic for this blog as experience tells me that many local people assume they should report abandoned vehicles to the North Essex Parking Partnership (NEPP), however this isn’t the case.

In most instances, abandoned vehicles should be reported to the local borough or district council where the vehicle has been abandoned. Councils have the permission and are able to deal with abandoned vehicles, including finding owners, giving penalties and vehicle disposal. However, if an abandoned vehicle is on a road and in a dangerous position or condition, then this should be reported to the Police.

The only occasion when the NEPP would get involved in removing an abandoned vehicle would be if the vehicle had been left in a car park which it manages, in which case the NEPP would work with the relevant local borough or district council to deal with it.

If you ever wish to report an abandoned vehicle, you can do so online here.

Further information and guidance about abandoned vehicles is available on every local council’s website but you might also find the following links useful too:

Essex Police – ‘Who has responsibility for that?’ Leaflet

Central Government Guidance on Abandoned Vehicles and Councils Responsibilities

Commuter Complaints

Line of parked cars
This week, I thought I’d blog about one of the NEPP’s most common complaints – commuter parking.

We often receive complaints about how and where commuters park their vehicles whilst they’re at work all day as they’re sometimes restricting property access, causing congestion and in some cases a danger too. If the vehicles are parked dangerously, causing an obstruction or on pavements, then this would be a Police issue. If the vehicle is parked on a dropped kerb or in contravention of a parking restriction, the NEPP can carry out enforcement action. However if there aren’t any parking restrictions and there aren’t any other parking contraventions taking place, we’re unable to take any action.

If residents of businesses in north Essex believe that having a parking or waiting restriction in place may address this (or any other local parking problem) requests for these should be made to the NEPP. Anyone wanting parking or waiting restrictions needs to complete Stage 1 of the NewTRO Requests Form and demonstrate there is local support, including from the local Ward Councillor. Once completed, the request should be emailed to for it to be reviewed and scored based on key factors including the level of local support, potential benefits and impacts. The request and the scoring will then be referred to the Partnership’s Committee to prioritise and decide whether it will be progressed. The NEPP does receive a lot of requests and with limited budget available it needs to focus on progressing the schemes considered to be a high priority. For all the necessary steps to be completed, the entire process can take up to 24 months.

For more information please visit our website at